Baby It's 1944 Outside


Every Christmas for the past few years, people become horrified by the lyrics of a (this year) 74-year old Christmas song. I remember when my stepdaughter first heard “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.” A relatively new college student with little cultural context, unaware of the song’s age, but immersed in all she was learning from professors steeped in women’s studies, cultural revisionism, and fear of “triggering” someone, she was aghast that such a song could exist.
 
Let me say right here, I advocate women’s studies; it is long past the time when the perspectives, contributions, and subculture (drowning in patriarchy) of women was brought to light. And my stepdaughter is no dummy. But many of us, at the tender age of a few years out of high school, fell into the trap of subconsciously thinking that the world began the day we were born. This illusion is magnified by the internet and social media, where hoaxes, warnings, and images of people who are either heroes or villains are posted and reposted for years because no one checks to see if they are 1) true, 2) still relevant.

Before we launch into the discussion, let’s make sure we know the original lyrics:

Baby It’s Cold Outside
Frank Loesser

I really can't stay (But baby it's cold outside)
I've got to away (But baby it's cold outside)
This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)
My mother will start worry (Beautiful what’s your hurry)
My father will be pacing the floor (Listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry (Beautiful please don't hurry)
But maybe just a half a drink more (Put some records on while I pour)
The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink (No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)
I ought to say "No, no, no sir" (Mind if I move in closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (What's the sense in hurtin' my pride?)

[Chorus]
I really can't stay
(Oh, baby don't hold out)
Baby it's cold outside

I simply must go (But baby it's cold outside)
The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)
Your welcome has been (How lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at the storm)
My sister will be suspicious (Gosh your lips look delicious)
My brother will be there at the door (Waves upon the tropical shore)
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious (Gosh your lips are delicious)
But maybe just a cigarette more (Never such a blizzard before)
I've gotta get home (But baby you'd freeze out there)
Say lend me a comb (It's up to your knees out there)
You've really been grand (I thrill when you touch my hand)
But don't you see? (How can you do this thing to me?)
There's bound to be talk tomorrow (Think of my lifelong sorrow)
At least there will be plenty implied (If you got pneumonia and died)

[Chorus]
I really can't stay
(Get over that old out)
Baby it's cold
Baby it's cold outside

This tune was written as a call-and-response duet for Loesser and his wife, Lynn Garland, to sing at a house-warming party in New York. Celebrities were usually expected to perform at parties in the 1940s, and Loesser wrote this song as a signal that it was time for the guests to leave. It became so popular, that he and his wife were invited to dozens of parties over the years. Garland says it was a ticket to free truffles and caviar, at least until Loesser sold it to MGM for a 1949 movie, Neptune’s Daughter. Esther Williams (swimming champion and Tarzan’s Jane) and Ricardo Montalbán (think Star Trek’s Khan) sang it in the movie, and it won an Academy Award; Betty Garrett (Archie Bunker's liberal neighbor Irene Lorenzo in All in the Family and landlady Edna Babish in Laverne & Shirley) and Red Skelton also sang it, but with the roles reversed. [Williams/Montalban and Skelton/Barrett versions of song]

This year, in the wake of the #MeToo movement, people have taken their horror one step further and called radio stations complaining, resulting in some stations pulling the song from their playlist. And that’s no great loss. The song isn’t a great classic like “White Christmas” or “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing.” Some listeners – survivors of rape and assault -- complain of being triggered. And if that were a good reason, I would ask radio stations to never play John Lennon’s “Beautiful Boy” or Israel KamakawiwoĘ»ole’s version of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” because they remind me of my late son and I cry. But this isn’t why I’m posting today.

Back to this business about culture – and perhaps society in general. Things change. What was acceptable 70 years ago may not be so today. I get that. I see the efforts to remove statues of Confederate generals because they represent a culture that was built on the lives and backs of slaves. These so-called memorials don’t just “trigger” African-Americans; they represent a time this country took a morally wrong turn, and we are still in the process of trying to amend all it cost. However, there was also a time when courting and seduction was not an intellectual matter, when one didn’t always marry for love, but often because of necessity, wealth, business, politics, or expediency. Yes, these were also times that women often had little say in whom they married; they couldn’t have men who were friends without there being an implication of consent and the accompanying shame (only for the woman). On the other hand, while extramarital affairs were probably just as prevalent as today, they were frowned upon, especially by the Church, and (again) women were most often the ones who carried the burden of guilt (and pregnancy).

But let’s not be so pragmatic for a moment. Today, American society is just as nervous about discussing sex – perhaps more – than in centuries past. The American language has more euphemisms for sex (and death) than any other concept in the language. Even television censors did not permit showing married couples in the same bed in the early days of television. Although Lucy and Ricky of I Love Lucy were married and had a baby, they were always shown at bedtime in twin beds. (At first, they were shown in what looked like a double bed; however, it was plain that it was two twin beds pushed together, each made up separately.) Except for an obscure television show, Mary Kay and Johnny, broadcast from 1947 to 1950, the first couple on television shown in double beds were The Brady Bunch (1969-1974) parents and Herman and Lily Munster (of The Munsters, 1964-66). Okay, some argue it was Fred and Wilma Flintstone of The Flintstones in 1960, but hey, that’s a cartoon.

So, since what we’re concerned with is a song, let’s look at music/poetry. Think back to a poetry course you once took. Many of you may have been introduced to Andrew Marvell’s “To His Coy Mistress.” I think it’s important that we include the entire poem here.

To His Coy Mistress ["To His Coy Mistress" audio]
Andrew Marvell

Had we but world enough and time,
This coyness, lady, were no crime.
We would sit down, and think which way
To walk, and pass our long love’s day.
Thou by the Indian Ganges’ side
Shouldst rubies find; I by the tide
Of Humber would complain. I would
Love you ten years before the flood,
And you should, if you please, refuse
Till the conversion of the Jews.
My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires and more slow;
An hundred years should go to praise
Thine eyes, and on thy forehead gaze;
Two hundred to adore each breast,
But thirty thousand to the rest;
An age at least to every part,
And the last age should show your heart.
For, lady, you deserve this state,
Nor would I love at lower rate.
       But at my back I always hear
Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.
Thy beauty shall no more be found;
Nor, in thy marble vault, shall sound
My echoing song; then worms shall try
That long-preserved virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust,
And into ashes all my lust;
The grave’s a fine and private place,
But none, I think, do there embrace.
       Now therefore, while the youthful hue
Sits on thy skin like morning dew,
And while thy willing soul transpires
At every pore with instant fires,
Now let us sport us while we may,
And now, like amorous birds of prey,
Rather at once our time devour
Than languish in his slow-chapped power.
Let us roll all our strength and all
Our sweetness up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife
Through the iron gates of life:
Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.

Published posthumously in 1681, this poem may have been written about thirty years before that. There are some disagreements about what the sudden turn to conceits about death and the grave in the second stanza means; however, it is generally accepted to be a poem of seduction, in which (when translated from the archaic post-Elizabethan English) the suitor tells the lady that if they could live forever, it might be acceptable for her to play hard-to-get, but since they are mortal creatures – and still young – they should both enjoy each other as they may. Or as I used to tell my English students, he says they’re not going to live forever, so she should give “it” up before they grow to old to enjoy “it.” I haven’t taught poetry for decades, so perhaps this poem is no longer included in university anthologies of English poetry, or if it is, perhaps it comes with a trigger warning. But in its time, it was considered a masterpiece of metaphysical poetry, perhaps the most recognized carpe diem poem in the English language. You may have even heard a variation of the phrase “world enough and time” more than once.

Because students struggle so much with “old” English, I usually taught this poem alongside Billy Joel’s song, “Only the Good Die Young.”

Billy Joel

Come out Virginia, don't let me wait
You Catholic girls start much too late
But sooner or later it comes down to faith
I might as well be the one
Well, they showed you a statue, told you to pray
They built you a temple and locked you away
But they never told you the price that you pay
For things that you might have done
Only the good die young
That's what I said
Only the good die young
Only the good die young
You might have heard I run with a dangerous crowd
We ain't too pretty we ain't too proud
We might be laughing a bit too loud
Aw but that never hurt no one
So come on Virginia show me a sign
Send up a signal and I'll throw you the line
The stained-glass curtain you're hiding behind
Never lets in the sun

Darlin' only the good die young
Only the good die young
Only the good die young

You got a nice white dress and a party on your confirmation
You got a brand new soul
And a cross of gold
But Virginia they didn't give you quite enough information
You didn't count on me
When you were counting on your rosary
They say there's a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it's better but I say it ain't
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun

You know that only the good die young
Only the good die young
Only the good die young

Well your mother told you all that I could give you was a reputation
Aw she never cared for me
But did she ever say a prayer for me?
Come out come out come out Virginia don't let me wait
You Catholic girls start much too late

Sooner or later it comes down to faith
I might as well be the one
You know that only the good die young
I'm telling you baby
You know that only the good die young
Only the good die young
Only the good
Only the good die young
Only the Good Die Young lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group

Even in 1977, this song was controversial, written from the perspective of a young man who wants to have sex with a Catholic girl. It supposedly is written about a former crush of Joel’s named Virginia; however, it seems appropriate that the target of the young man’s lust be named so. Attempts to have the song banned made it even more popular, and Joel was quoted as saying the song wasn’t so much anti-Catholic as pro-lust. He also argues that in the end, the young man does not convince Virginia, and she remains chaste. Again, this is a lyric that reflects the times. Premarital sex was openly denounced, particularly by the Catholic church, although it seems to have occurred often enough, if out-of-wedlock births and rushed marriages are any indication. Joel also vaguely echoes Marvell’s lament about passing time, but here, warning Virginia that saving “it” for too long may mean she never enjoys “it.” Joel adds criticism of the hypocrisy of cultural mores with references to stained glass windows that block the sun and her mother who appears prayerful but doesn’t like him so, he reckons, probably doesn’t pray for him either.

This song was released during the “free love” era, when young people (and some older) were casting aside the games of seduction, the façade that no one had sex before marriage, and that no one talked about sex. But compare these two poems:

e e cummings

i like my body when it is with your
body.  It is so quite new a thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body.  i like what it does,
i like its hows.  i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss,  i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh… And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you so quite new
William Shakespeare

Whoever hath her wish, thou hast thy Will,
And Will to boot, and Will in overplus;
More than enough am I that vex thee still,
To thy sweet will making addition thus.
Wilt thou, whose will is large and spacious,
Not once vouchsafe to hide my will in thine?
Shall will in others seem right gracious,
And in my will no fair acceptance shine?
The sea, all water, yet receives rain still,
And in abundance addeth to his store;
So thou being rich in Will add to thy Will
One will of mine, to make thy large Will more.
   Let no unkind, no fair beseechers kill;
   Think all but one, and me in that one Will.




Shakespeare died in 1616 (before Andrew Marvell’s poem was written), and Cummings died in 1962. It is unclear exactly when either poem was written precisely, but even with at least 340 years between them, they’re still talking about sex. Because that’s what we do.

Is Shakespeare being lewd when he petitions the lady “to hide my will in thine”? Of course, that’s only one interpretation. When I used to read Cummings’ “I like my body when it is with your,” students would gasp at “I like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes over parting flesh.”

In 1977, they gasped at “Come out come out come out Virginia don't let me wait / You Catholic girls start much too late.” But Marvel and Shakespeare probably received only a sly grin. Readers and listeners knew what went on between men and women in the 17th century, regardless of what they admitted to their pastor, their neighbors, or anyone else who took it upon themselves to impose their morals on someone else. Sometime since they, we started to pretend that we don’t know anything about it.

Perhaps we need to think about Ringo Starr, now 78, singing, “You’re 16, You’re Beautiful, and You’re Mine.” Eww. What about the Rolling Stones’ “Under My Thumb” or “Brown Sugar”? Prince’s “Darling Nikki” – well, I don’t think it got any air time. Rod Stewart’s “Tonight’s the Night.” And then, of course, there’s Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax.”

This isn’t the first year that “Baby It’s Cold Outside” has received criticism. And while “what about” isn’t a logical argument, there are other “questionable” Christmas songs such as, Santa Baby” (more greed than lust) and “All I Want for Christmas is You.” What if a man sang “All I Want for Christmas is You” instead of Mariah Carey? Isn’t part of the attraction to that song the fact that the singer is a sultry diva singing to a man? And what about “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus”? Either the kid thinks his mother is cheating on his father or that there’s no Santa. Either way, Christmas is going to be unpleasant this year.

Well, don’t get me started on Christmas songs I hate.

Maybe when all the grandpas and grandmas who grew up listening to Dean Martin slur the words to “Baby It’s Cold Outside” are gone, the youngsters can banish the song to the graveyard of ‘Christmas Songs We Don’t Understand,” like “Good King Wenceslaus” (1853 – the story of a Czech king who goes out on the Feast of Stephen – December 26 – to gather firewood and gives alms to a poor man); "Cordenatus ex Parentis" ("Of the Father’s Love Begotten"), composed by Roman Christian poet Prudentius in the fourth century (because who speaks Latin anymore?) and "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen,” a German Christmas hymn by Michael Praetorius, first printed in the 1599 Speyer Hymnal. (To be honest, we sang this in the choir when I was in eighth grade. We sang it in English, “Lo, how a rose e’er blooming,” in reference to the rose of Judah, the tree of Jesse – the lineage of Jesus). What about “O Tannenbaum”? How lovely ARE thy branches?

In the end, you can argue that it’s a conversation between two consenting adults. And it isn’t clear from any of these poems or songs if the speaker has his way. Or you can argue that it’s sexist and offensive and try to erase it from history. Or, you can use it as a teaching moment because it’s only through education that we can change cultural attitudes. This is an old song, son, and I like to think the man wants the woman to stay just a little bit longer. Back then, if a woman stayed out too late, people might say bad things about her, so that’s why she’s in a hurry to leave. These days, it might be best if they double dated.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Mustang Sally

How My Stepmom Came to Live with Us

Don’t Like This Blog