A Switch to Favorite Tunes


The ten-day challenge (which turned into 20 days) to list/comment on books from my childhood was so much fun that I’m going to try another challenge. I could probably dredge up 10 more books, but maybe that was getting boring. Then I was thinking, you know how you hear an old song and all the memories from the times you first enjoyed that song come rushing back? Sometimes even scenes, smells, other memories come rushing back. At least that’s true for me.

So, I’m going to give you ten songs from my past that are those kinds of songs. Some of you may be too young to really enjoy this, but it might start a trip down memory lane for all you old farts out there. Anyone who wants to start their own musings or comment on mine is welcome!

So here they are, in random order.

#1 Hey Little Cobra – The Rip Chords
This single was released in 1963 on Columbia records, produced by Terry Melcher (best known for producing the Byrds’ “Hey Mr. Tambourine” Man and “Turn! Turn! Turn!”) and Bruce Johnston (a member of the Beach Boys), who also “ghost” sang on the recording. It spent 14 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #4.


It is memorable for me because it was the first 45 rpm single I ever owned, the result of its being a birthday gift from high school pal, Judy Rayburn. I was an avid radio listener, lying in bed at night in the summer until I could dial up AM Chicago’s WLS radio station or listening to the local KRIB station (one of the first Iowa radio stations licensed to play rock and roll in the 1950s), but I had not heard this song. I liked it right away, as cars were a big part of the culture; however, I didn’t take to another car song until I discovered Ronnie and the Daytonas’ “Little GTO” around 1966, mostly because I was dating a guy who had a GTO. I never owned a Cobra, but I did have a dual carb 1965 Mustang in 1970-1972.



#2 Let There Be Drums Sandy Nelson

Remember that these songs are appearing in no specific order. However, regarding influence this recording is way up there. My first introduction to “star” drummers was seeing Gene Krupa on the Ed Sullivan Show and the Dean Martin Show in the 60s and 70s. Everyone had a variety show back then, it seems. My dad couldn’t stand looking at Krupa because of all the faces he made while drumming. 

My next influence was Sandy Nelson. Every morning, my sister and I sat at the breakfast bar in the kitchen/dining room and my mother served our breakfast while the radio played current hits. Billed as one of the early “surf music” tunes, “Let There Be Drums” was a recording with Nelson on drums and Richard Polodor (later gaining fame as Three Dog Night’s producer) on guitar, released in 1961 on the Imperial label. I loved the twangy guitar and driving drums. The Beatles would arrive in New York in 1964 and appear on the Ed Sullivan Show, where I saw Ringo perform. He is often overlooked as an accomplished drummer, and while he wasn’t my “favorite Beatle,” I admired his drumming. 

This all culminated in my asking for a set of drums for my 14th or 15th birthday. It was not a shiny set of Ludwig drums like Ringo’s, but a hodgepodge, made up of a used bass (huge!), high hat, ride and crash cymbals, floor tom, and a brand new snare and stool. My friends and I made a feeble attempt to form a band, which was crushed when the nuns wouldn’t let me 1) sit astride the stool in my uniform or 2) wear pants at a talent contest. So, we lip synced a Beatles’ song, and we were awful. 

I religiously took lessons and was often complimented by my teacher. He even suggested to the local girl group, Fanny – who were looking for a drummer – that I might fit the ticket. However, they were moving to LA, I was in the 8th grade, and for all my rebelliousness and independence, that idea terrified me. In the end, I kept beating on my drums to keep from beating anyone else up, and when I went away to college, my dad sold them. I have “Let There Be Drums” on my mp3 player, and when it comes up while I’m driving, I still beat on the steering wheel.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Mustang Sally

How My Stepmom Came to Live with Us

Don’t Like This Blog